Thursday, March 5, 2009

PETA Website

I think there are definitely times when imagery can go too far, and PETA's website is a good example of that. In their video promoting animal birth control, PETA uses video of dogs and cats to create an emotional connection between the viewer and the animals. PETA's goal is to make you feel sorry for the animals and then take some sort of action -- in this case, pledging to have your dog or cat spayed or neutered, as well as to adopt any future pets rather than purchasing them from a pet store or breeder. While I understand that PETA just wants to get its message out to the public, I think the organization often engages in tactics that approach manipulation. Personally, if I had just listened to the audio of the animal birth control video without actually seeing the images, I probably would have disregarded the message. I had a problem with the comparison made between a woman being raped and a female cat in heat; also, I wonder where a lot of there statistics came from. However, because PETA uses images of neglected dogs and cats to make their point, I found myself thinking about how sad the situation was and, ultimately, sympathizing with their message.

No comments:

Post a Comment