Thursday, February 26, 2009

Letter of Intent

I am writing on behalf of the Clean Air Alliance, a Seattle-based organization that has been in existance since 1998. Our goal is to fight air pollution in the greater Seattle area. I am asking for $100,000 to propose a cap-and-trade policy for corporations located within King County that are currently emiting pollution. My proposal would involve giving every corporation 20 pollution credits (or another number -- I would need to do more research first). Any corporation that wants/needs to pollute beyond their 20 credits would need to buy unused credits from other corporations. The price would be based on the supply and demand of pollution credits available in the market. Imposing a cap-and-trade policy would reduce the total pollution in King County, because corporations would finally have to pay for the damage they are doing to the environment.
(Note: I'm not sure exactly how an amount of pollution is measured, so I would need to do a significant amount of research before this letter of intent would be complete. I would also need to figure out what the optimum number of pollution credits to give out would be and how much pollution one credit is equivalent to, among other details.)

No comments:

Post a Comment