Dr. Goodloe-Johnson,
I'm writing today to say that I agree with your decision to close five Seattle public schools and move all or part of eight others. I understand that this was probably a very difficult decision for you to make, and I applaud you for having the courage to make the correct choice. You faced harsh criticism from students and parents; despite it all, though, you were determined to make the decision that would have as positive an impact as possible. I applaud you for this.
Much of the criticism directed at you was from parents who said their kids' schools were being unfairly targeted. Some argued that it was based on the students' economic breakdown; others claimed that it was their minority status. Still more said it wasn't fair to move students to larger classes, even when their current schools were in poor condition and underfunded. I ask the critics this: Would you rather have your child in a small class located in a crumbling building that received little funding, or in a slightly larger class located in a recently remodeled building that received more funding? Which of these situations is in your child's best interest?
Decisions such as these are the kind that nobody wants to face. The way I see it, there was no way you could win. If you close schools, students and parents start calling for your head; if you keep under-performing schools open, the district loses money and the school board starts calling for your head. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be in your position right now. Under the circumstances, though, I believe you made the best decision possible and I hope the critics will see it that way someday soon.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment